Friday, July 01, 2005

Operation Pink Thing

I think OPT was a success! Faythe wrote about the purse on her blog, describing it as awesome. YESSSSS!

This project was a milestone for me. First, because I was attempting something like intarsia (which went well because really...the felting hid most mistakes) and second, because I had to "wing it" with the pattern and adding a purse liner. So, using some graph paper, here's Faythe's Bad Kitty logo I wanted to replicate:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I took a picture of the modified Sophie before felting and included a bottle of Oil of Olay for size comparison but forgot to take a pic of it with the same bottle when I was finished. D'oh! There is a measuring tape at the bottom though, if you can see it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I felted this sucker in the bathtub with some gentle body soap while reading a book. I think you're supposed to use Dawn or something, but this seems to work for me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This time, rather than stoop over the tub, I sat down next to it and agitated the purse while reading The Age of Innocence.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now, Simba loves the bathtub; he's always running and hiding in it! But after oh...15 minutes or so of agitating, he really got freaked out. He wasn't sure what I was doing in there and came to investigate. When I tried to pet him he ran away like I was about to administer some Advantage.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you look carefully, you can see his luxury-sized cat box in the background. Yes, it's a huge Rubbermaid container. I don't think my cats will ever be able to go back to the normal size cat box.

After the purse dried, I added a liner. I thought it was necessary because of the inside funkiness created by my attempt at felted intarsia and really...I think it was exactly what the purse needed!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I hand sewed it into the purse itself and because I didn't choose a liner that's the same color as the wool I had to carefully sew this into the purse without the white stitches showing. Fortunately, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, here's the final product. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure why the ears ended up that way, but still, I'm happy! I have at least one request for the same purse but in red and black.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 comment:

Brianna said...

You did an awesome job on the OPT project!