The Matinee Coat was moving along quickly until I hit a snag. I'm the first to admit it was definately my fault. First, I substituted Knitpicks Shine Sport for Baby Cashmerino. Yaya recommended it since is machine washable. It's a wee bit thicker than the cashmerino and apparently, one should take these things into account. *sigh* I also knit the sleeves in the round and the panels were knit flat. When it came time to seam the sleeves to the rest of the sweater, I encountered a problem.
Well, it seems that the sleeves are bigger that the actual arm hole. This may be, as Faythe pointed out, because knitting in a round produces different gauge. It may also be because I didn't account for the stitches that would have been folded under when seaming. Or it may be because I measured the panels in inches as if I was using smaller cashmerino while the sleeves are measured in accumulated stitches. Either way, I have a problem. As I see it, I have two choices (frogging is not one of them): I can either add on to the sweater panels to make them larger so the arm hole will be larger or I can squeeze the sleeve into that arm hole. This will, of course, require some creative seaming. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I really don't have that much yarn left so I have to be careful.
On the I-Don't-Know-How-To-Relax front, I broke a needle last night.
In my defense, this needle was really soft to begin with! It was always bending this way and that. But I liked it because it's much smaller than the other sturdy needles I got on clearance. Not only did it snap in half but a couple months ago, the eye split in half as well. I worked around this because I loved it so much but now with this broken tip, I think a replacement is due. Oh, and the eye wasn't split that wide. I just opened it up so you could see it.
Darn, I think a shopping trip is in order! hehehe This time I'm going for the metal needles! And when I get back, I'm going to try the Seinfeld puffy sleeve look.