Sunday, July 09, 2006

Seed stitch

Today I caught up on some much needed sleep after being called in to work last night. I fell asleep a couple times while talking to people, only a handful noticed. It seems a lot of people are willing to wait for my responses after they've been in the queue for 20+ minutes. I just can't handle being up for 24 hours after working these kind of hours for a couple weeks. :(

Between naps today I untangled two different balls of yarn and several knitting needles that had been in my purse. It didn't take me as long as I thought, cotton yarn really seems to hold up well and not given in to the temptation of knots. Jen had asked what my current project is. Well, I think I'm finally going to be able to finish a seed stitch washcloth I had started some time ago. Here's the pattern, in case you want to try it (Jen). :)

Cast on odd numbered stitches
Row 1: knit 1, purl 1, repeat
Repeat until you're done.



The difference between seed stitch and ribbing:

seed stitch: knit the purls, purl the knits creating texture when you turn each row

ribbing: knit the knits, purl the purls mimicking each stitch you've already knit when you turn each row. example:

Cast on even number of stitches
row 1: knit 1 purl 1,
row 2: purl 1 knit 1.

Check out the cuff of your socks for a good example.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hey, the wash cloth looks beautiful! What color is that you are using? Potpourri?

Jen said...

Oh, I got to ask. Are you using size 5 needles?

Unknown said...

Yep, Potpourri. http://tinyurl.com/pozvn

I like this yarn because some varigated yarns pool and you know how I hate pooling. :) This yarn doesn't do that.

I also used size 3 needles. I may bump up to 5 though. 8 is definitely too big, at least for my tastes. I didn't like that I could see through the pattern.

Daisy Ditzy Do said...

I enjoy the seed stitch. It can be a bit more time consuming the other more common stitches but I really like the thick, squishy, cushiony feel of the finished product.

Unknown said...

Me too. I am also hoping the seed stitch is perfect for a not-so-harsh exfoliating washcloth. As it is, I keep wanting to rub my face on it. :)