Saturday, December 16, 2006

Off colored seasoning

Today Apollo and I went out to do some last minute shopping. Though we only went to a few places, it seemed like we'd been out for over twelve hours trying to make The Right Decision when pairing up gifts with the recipient.

Apollo wanted to pick out something for Faythe but had no idea what to get. He picked up several different things and asked if I thought they were something Faythe would like but none of them were satisfactory. We even looked for Sandra Lee cookbooks but to no avail. Finally, I asked him, "Well, what would black people get?" He said, "Salt and pepper shakers." (For those that don't know, he's black and she's brown. They have this sort of sibling-rivalry going on. We are not racist.)

I was stumped. Or stunned. Since when have salt and pepper shakers become the gift for a specific race of people? In the end, he did not get the salt and pepper shakers. He picked out something rather nice too, I was impressed.

While shopping I also took some time to people watch. I'm making up a list of observations about how men shop, hopefully I'll be able to post them soon.

No comments: