Sunday, December 03, 2006

Dear Faythe,

I'm writing to warn you about the sock pattern I faxed you recently. I decided to use the exact yarn and needles called for in the pattern. Size 3 with Cascade 220. Luckily, I have a ton of this yarn.

I'm knitting the Starter Stockinette for Women S-M. Luckily, this is a simple pattern and I can already see how I'll be manipulating the pattern for my own uses later.

So everything was going great up until the heel flap. In the "Making the Heel Flap" section, it asks you knit round 1 and 2 and then to do this 12 more times. This means you would have a total of 26 rows. It then says you should have approximately 2.5 inches or 6 centimeters. Well, I ended up with just about 3.25 inches and 8.5 centimeters. So, after much frogging and knitting and constant second guessing, I decided to go with the instructions of 26 rows, which is not 2.5 inches. I finished the gusset and started on the foot and decided to try it on.


I think it's safe to say the heel flap is too long after all. See how it's poking out there? It looks like a half inch or more too long. Also, see how it's bunching up at the top of the heel? My guess is if the heel itself were shorter, it wouldn't bunch up like that. Of course, if I make a smaller heel flap, I won't be able to pick up the 15 stitches it asks for. I guess I'll either just pick up what I can (consistant on each side of course) and make it work out, mathematically.

I'll post another update later. I just wanted to get this all worked out for you before you got to this point yourself.

Hope you're feeling better,
Your friend


Faythe,

I ended up knitting only 18 rows, approximately 2.5 inches. This left me with 11 stitches to pick up, rather than 15. Because my goal is to have 12 stitches on each needle I'm sure this will work out. If not, I'll be back.


Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I ripped back the leg too. I figured, while I'm ripping, why not change the length while I'm at it. I wanted it much shorter than the 7.5 inches the pattern recommends.

1 comment:

Faythe said...

I have finally started the infamous heel flap, so I'll let you know how it turns out.