Saturday, February 18, 2006

Christmas in February (two months early for Faythe)


Now that Aimee and Faythe have received their gifts, it's safe to post photos. The fabric under the stocking is what I used for the liner.

Here's Aimee's stocking. I used a white yarn that has a sparkly look that you can't see here. It looks great for snow type designs and also reflects the colors around it so it looks especially nice with the blue. I thought the snowflake would be a lot harder to make but it's not that bad at all. I definitely want to try more designs that are similar to this one.

I didn't realize there was a difference between Fair Isle and Intarsia until I started these projects. In the past I had used the words interchangeably. I was wrong! Apparently, Aimee's snowflake is Fair Isle, or stranded knitting. Faythe's is intarsia.



Faythe, your stocking was a little bit of a challenge. First, I had to squeeze your name into the pattern. Even though it's a bit tight, it's a lot better than the other options I was given. *shudder* You just don't want to know.

The colors in this photo aren't realistic at all. Father Christmas has a burgundy coat with blue bag, two toned Christmas tree, cane, gloves, etc. His beard is made from a furry yarn. Oh yeah, and the toe and heel are green. Hopefully Faythe will capture a much better photo.

From the first moment I saw this pattern, I knew I was going to make it. I was pretty sure that Faythe would appreciate the fact that it was a bit of a challenge so I decided that she was worthy of such a gift. The ladies at the yarn shop tried to steer me away from it but I'm pretty stubborn. True, it was a little more of a challenge due to my lack of knowledge with intarsia, but I didn't mind ripping it out and doing it over. I love the old fashioned look and I hope Faythe does too.

Thanks for your patience guys!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

You did an awesome job on the stockings!!

Faythe said...

I absolutely love how the beard is all fuzzy! I forgot to add that part on my blog.

As for incorporating balls onto a stocking for Ryan, the only thing I can think of is if you made his with Christmas ornaments as the pattern. Lots of 'balls', yet not obscene.

aimee said...

Let me just say that I opened the box and saw the stocking and was AMAZED. I can't believe you made that!!! It's soooo beautiful!!! Thank you Rayleen!!!