Monday, October 29, 2007

Losing the battle

I bought some yarn with a specific person in mind. My goal was to find something springy, not too dark nor a pastel. Though I usually stay as far away from the Socks that Rock Multicolor Wave as possible, the Watermelon Tourmaline seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. The plan of attack was to knit up the Rock and Weave socks.

When I got the pattern, I realized I was an idiot and didn't read the part on the website where it said "mediumweight." ARGH! I bought lightweight. So I made a new plan and switched to a different pattern. *sigh* I started the cuff and realized there might be a slight problem with pooling. Of course, I live most my life in denial so I kept knitting. Well. I wouldn't mind if the colors mixed thoroughly, but this stripey pooling thing that's going on? I don't think so! I even found an awesome pattern, Wollmeise Socks, but it didn't stop the pooling. The solution? I set it aside, wound up some awesome Stonewash STR and cast on Daisy Socks.


After some head scratching and blaming myself for my inability to recreate the pattern as written, I realized there were a couple different errors in it after all. Yay, not me! I fixed them and emailed the author - she confirmed there were indeed errors. I usually tell myself to trust the pattern and to just knit it. Unfortunately, this time it caused me to doubt myself and to even ask Faythe for her opinion. I don't know why I did it, I try not to. When it comes to leaving yourself open to sneering and finger stabbing, one should never ask a Malcontent for their opinion! And yes, I can feel her pointy finger stabs across the Internets. Damn you Faythe for leaving me with that childhood memory!! Anyway, this colorway reminded me why I love the Shaded Solids so much. When stretched a little, as if worn, the flowers really pop out. Loving it!

No comments: