Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Eve

To change things up a bit, this year we drove around and looked at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve. After passing two different indian reservations and noticing signs for Alpine (28 miles from San Diego), we decided we were indeed lost. We later realized we were about 15 miles past our destination, we finally made it to Jingle Bell Hill, also known as Pepper Drive Lights.

The X on the far left is the approximate location of our start point. The X in the middle is where we wanted to go. The X on the far right is where we ended up. The first clue we weren't in Kansas anymore? The abrupt change in temperature as we climbed up the mountains. Brr.

Did you know 2nd street off the 8 is also known as CA 54? Yeah, that's why we nearly ended up in Alpine. Anyway, after checking out the lights (will post a couple pics later), we found an In-N-Out that was open in Mission Valley. I couldn't believe we found someone open at 10:30PM on Christmas Eve! We got our burgers, fries, and delicious shakes and went to Balboa Park to enjoy the serenity while we ate our fattening food. It was pretty foggy last night so I took a couple photos.


Considering my camera is an old Canon Power Shot A10 at 1.3 Mega Pixels, I think these turned out pretty well. While the camera has served me well, I'm contemplating getting a newer version soon. But still, don't you think they look good, even with the low resolution?


The fog was pretty dense over The Old Globe Theatre. It was beautiful. I may have to take a special trip back some night when it's foggy just to play around with my shutter. Unfortunately, I only have a few options with this camera when it comes to time elapse photography. Which reminds me, I still have my 35mm camera. Wow. It's been years since I've used it. Would I even be able to thread the film??

On a side note, I was very impressed with In-N-Out. I only had the burger once before and wasn't that impressed. But last night it was sooo good. Maybe it's because it was fresh or maybe it's because I was extremely hungry. While we waited for our food, they gave us a Christmas card hand signed by all the employee's.

I can't believe it's almost 1:30AM. No more black tea at 9:30PM for me!

2 comments:

Faythe said...

I gave my 35mm camera to my mom as soon as I got my first digital camera, and I've often wondered the same thing--would I still be able to thread the film??

Well, since my mom can't seem to thread it no matter how often I show her, she always brings it to me and I discovered it was sort of like riding a bicycle...you never forget.

Love the foggy Balboa pictures. Balboa park is so gorgeous!

Also--you should order burgers from In-N-Out "Animal Style". Instead of a slab of fresh onion (which is also good), they give you the hamburger with a bunch of grilled onions instead. Delicious!!

Theresa said...

I love the San Diego photos - I was out there for a month in Sept, and I'm moving out in June - and it's so beautiful. I can't wait.