Tuesday, November 09, 2004

listen...let's just agree to disagree

In my old age (HAHA) I've realized something. Life is not about who wins or loses, but how we live our life.

Recently, there has been some strife amongst some people I know and love. Apparently, there was an email sent to "Jack," and he became upset and retaliated with harsh words. Now "Jill," who initiated the communication, is upset and thinks her 20+ year relationship with Jack is permanently damaged. She doesn't know what to do. She has apologized repeatedly, but Jack doesn't want to hear it. At this point, I don't even care what the misunderstanding is about or who is to blame. I don't know who needs to apologize or who is responsible. Honestly, I don't care. I don't care. What I do care about is that Jack is willing to throw away their relationship because of hurt feelings. Is it worth it?? Does someone have to win? Is this what we've come to? Are we willing to throw away loving friendships and relationships rather than work through our problems? I would rather always be wrong and save my friendships and relationships then always be right and be alone.

Sure, I too occassionally have communication problems with Jill. But because I love and value my relationship with her, we have both agreed to disagree and to continue building our relationships with each other. I refuse to let "feelings" get in the way of our happiness.

No comments: