Saturday, January 21, 2006

Knitting? What knitting?

Some of you may remember, from the olden days, that I used to post pictures of knitting on here. I mean, that's why I am a part of the California Knit Blogs and San Diego Knit Blogs (see column on right).

You must be thinking, all this girl does is post pictures of cows, cars, and other miscellaneous garbage. Um, while that is true, I still knit! Due to the fact that I bit off more than I could handle, I'm still knitting and working on Christmas presents for '05. Some have suggested I save them for '06 and call myself "early." I will admit, I've given it some thought. But unfortunately, Faythe and Aimee are well aware of the situation. And since they read my blog, I can't post my progress. And because I'm working on a belated Christmas present, I refuse to start other knit projects.

I have, however, purchased some yarn. I recently had a bad day at work so as my reward, I decided to buy yarn. I could have eaten something chocolatey. Or drank a special alcoholic beverage straight from the bottle, as was my inclination, but...I decided to go for the yarn. It is much healthier, yes?

So, on the way home from work Thursday I cruised by two yarn stores - both closed. I was irritated and, well maybe I cursed them. GAH! Friday I went to a LYS and got some alpaca and a cotton blend. I'm not sure what I'm going to make but at least I have it. It's going into my, um, stash. Which reminds me, I need to either 1) Buy a new container for my yarn or 2) Sort out and get rid of some of my old yarn. HAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA Right *sniff* get rid of yarn. That's hilarious.

I intended on buying some Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brushed color #1004, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I've been obsessing and even, yes, dreaming about this orange yarn. I originally told Faythe it was pumpkin but let's face it, it's orange. Every time I go to the store, I look at it, pick it up, brush it on my face. But I never buy it. Yesterday I even walked around the store with two balls of it in my hand for about fifteen minutes. But I couldn't follow through. I'll probably buy it some day just because I need something orange for my stash, but as of yet my stash is orange free.

BTW, I stopped by Joann's yesterday to pick up a couple items for the finishing touches on Faythe's present when I saw wool. 100% wool! Sure, the website shows a lot of different wools, but this is the first time I've seen 100% wool that is reasonably soft at Joanns. Sensations Tesoro feels and looks pretty good. I'm not too excited about the pastels, though. If they came out with some winter or fall colors, I just may have some projects in mind. At $5.00 for 87 yards...I'm not sure if I'll be using this any time soon. I can get better quality wool at a better price at a yarn store.

I also saw some wool at Michaels. The even had a felted swatch of Patons Classic Wool next to a regular knit swatch. I was pretty impressed with the end result. Not too thick and the fabric was solid. At $4.99 and 223 yards, it's definitely worth checking out. Oh, and there were a lot more colors too.

Anyway, I have to take my computer in to get some work done on it today, but when I come back I'll be knitting like a fool. Hopefully by the end of the week (depending on my work hours) I'll have finished Aimee and Faythe's Christmas presents. :) And then I can cast on several other projects and finally post some pics.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I see more yarn buying in your future-- says Yaya's magic 8 ball!