Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Purple socks

Mom asked me to knit up a pair of purple socks with a faux cable look for one of her friends, so I bought some purpley wool yarn and started knitting away. After I had completed the leg, I realized it was going to be a little tight for the recipient, especially since I learned she was a big girl with a size 10 foot. I ripped it out and modified the pattern so I could cast on 6 more stitches (you'd be surprised how much this makes a difference) and was almost done with the first sock when Mom said, "Is this the sock you're making for ___?" The tone of her voice told me I was doing something wrong. It turns out she wanted purple Monkey's, which I've knit twice already.

Disappointed, I let the sock sit for a week while I thought about what to do. If I frogged it, I'd still have this bright purple yarn sitting around, taunting me. On the other hand, I don't know that many people with large feet that would like purple socks. In the end, I decided that since I had nearly finished the first sock and had memorized the pattern, I would just finish up the pair.

This isn't the last you'll be seeing of the color purple, though. My aunt asked me to knit some purple socks for her small footed friend and I ordered some new multi colored purple yarn for Mom's friend (yarn that is better suited for larger feet).

Speaking of The Color Purple and things not really relevant, have you read Maya Angelou's "Letter to my Daughter?" You should.

1 comment:

Sugar Pop Ribbons said...

The purple socks are pretty. You know, it could be worst, they could ask you to knit bright orange socks. At least purple is easy on your eyes. LOL!