Sunday, December 23, 2007

Exhausted.

We got up at 4am this morning and took Mom and Tyler to Amtrak. After breakfast, a short nap, a mani and pedicure, we went to check out the Bodies Exhibition at UTC.

While fascinating (the diseased lungs made the biggest impact on me), I couldn't help but wonder who these people pissed off and what their offense was.

Sure, the guides at the exhibit will tell you that all the bodies were donated to science after Chinese officials failed to identify them or locate their next of kin. Still, considering the human rights violations in China, anything is possible.

Anyway, through the process of Plastination, liquids in the body are replaced with polymer or other such chemicals. You can read more about it here. This enables us to see veins, arteries, nerves etc.

Honestly, when I went to see the exhibit, it was out of an intellectual interest in the human body. I had never considered it to be gory, disrespectful or even controversial. I still don't think it was gory or disrespectful but I can see where the controversy would fall in to place.

Now that the family is gone, I just may go to bed before midnight. I'm aiming at 10pm tonight. Yay. Tired.

No comments: