Sunday, October 07, 2012

Figs

This last spring we went to the Saturday Market where I bought fresh figs.  For some reason, it never occurred to me we could get them fresh here.  To be honest, I didn't even know what a fig looked like.  I've only seen them in cookie format.

Intrigued, I did a little research. We all know figs are high in fiber, but did you know they can help control or lower blood pressure and cholesterol? They can also lower insulin for insulin injection dependent diabetics.  They're high in calcium, iron, vitamin C and antioxidants...this was enough to make me go out and buy my own fig tree.

I had several to choose from, so I picked the one that seemed would best fit someone who had no idea what she was doing:  the Lattarula, also known as the Italian Honey. The tree is only about six feet tall and since it's so young, I wasn't expecting it to produce anything.  But a few weeks ago we noticed little tiny figs growing on it.

IMG_0028

With temperatures dipping into the 30's, I'm not sure if the seven baby figs on the tree will have a chance to ripen, but I sure hope so. Anyone know if these little guys have a chance?

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Sorry I know nothing about Figs either. Other than the fact that when I lived in San Diego, there was a huge, flying beetle (my kids called them 'Hairies'...rhymes with Fairies)that was attracted to the figs and our neighbor would have to net the tree to keep them off. They seem like a very healthy food...but how do you cook them?

Unknown said...

I've never cooked them. But I have had them raw on salad or just ate them like I would eat a strawberry.

c-ing said...

I'm glad you mentioned your small amount of space to grow your fig tree and also its name. I live in a garden home and have very little space to grow anything. I might try finding this Lattarula fig tree.