Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My plan to dominate the world

A couple months ago I went to the doctor for a routine checkup. After an interesting conversation, which I will not go into other than to say it involved the words "possible cancer," I was informed I should consider gastric surgery. I was stunned - it was as if she had given up on me!

Yes, of course I want to lose weight and quickly. I've never been a normal sized person, well except for maybe when I was eight, so yes, I would enjoy dropping some pounds quickly. But in my heart I knew it wasn't the right answer for me. There are health issues that go along with gastric surgeries, not to mention the reason I ended up this way to begin with. I don't think gastric surgery would address them.

So after an encouraging talk with a friend, I joined Weight Watchers (WW). When I think of WW, I think of old ladies, Richard Simons, the '70s and spandex. But I decided it's worth a try.

I joined June 19 and since then have lost 13 pounds just by adding a lot of fruit, vegetables and low fat foods to my meals, limiting the quantity of fatty foods and drinking mostly water. The great thing about WW is I can still eat everything I ate before, I just have to limit them.

This week I kicked in some exercise. Nothing dramatic, jut some walking. Actually, today Apollo and I walked for 3 hours down one side of Mission Bay. I had no idea it was so long! Though I'm a little sore, I feel great and now have a nice tan and subtle sunburn which should hopefully give me a nice glow. (Always trying to think positive here!)

So while this isn't really about a plan to dominate the world, it's a plan to conquer my own issues with being fat and ultimately unhealthy. I know I can do it, it's just a matter of time.

No comments: