Saturday, May 08, 2010

Some whining and blueberries

I just realized I am only a couple years away from ten years away from 50. This is shocking. SHOCKING. I am just a kid!! When did this happen?? Where was I?

I wish I was one of those people who had a plan. You know, go to college (check), meet a great guy (oops), get a great job (er), buy a Craftsman house with a white picket fence (LOL), 2.5 kids (do cats count?) and so on. It just hasn't happened for me. I have always been one of those "follow the path less traveled" type of people and as a result have ended up with a degree in Art, can speak German but not Spanish (so stupid), and am dealing with a biological clock that is about to tick tock its way into oblivion. I know people say you can't compare one person's life with anothers but...50!

Speaking of getting older (there is a lot of inward cussing going on right now), I have a new plan to eat at least just as many fruit and vegies as I do anything else on my plate. Because I am concerned about my health!! ARGH!

Hopefully our six blueberry plants will help out. I bought them a year ago and then later read it takes several years for them to start producing berries. I was bitter.

Blueberry boxes with tulips

Yay!  Berries!

Happily, this one plant is attempting to prove that theory incorrect. I'm really looking forward to all the blueberries, even though I have been told I'll get more than I can handle. I doubt it. Maybe blueberries will become the new prune and help us old geezers out.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Ray, I was going to give you all kinds of great advice from my 50+ point of view and great, um, maturity! that's it, and, ummmm, oh yeah, wisdom! but got totally distracted by your analogy of blueberries being the new prunes and was laughing so hard I forgot what I was going to say. which was TOTALLY something wise. Really.

Sugar Pop Ribbons said...

Your garden is looking awesome. I need to bring Peanut to come and visit!