Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pruning apple trees and why didn't Mom just give Peanut that "_fill in the blank_" in her freezer instead of letting the dogs fight over a dead rat?

A couple days ago we left for another visit with Mom. She's constantly in need of help with chores around the house and since we're both unemployed, we're glad to help. Plus Apollo is glad to be doing something productive. (He hasn't caught the knitting fever. Something tells me he won't be catching it any time soon.)

While there, Mom and Apollo started attacking the apple trees with fervor. Luckily I'm too short and we had only one ladder, so I walked around and took pictures or "helped" by holding the ladder. (It was a long hard day of labor for me!) I don't know much about pruning trees but Grandma swears Mom is butchering them. Either way, her trees produce an abundance of apples each year, more than we can eat, preserve or give away. This is just one of the apple trees that has been on the property since the early 1900s.

The driveway leading down between a cherry tree, an unseen stream (Mom's water source) and a shed.

Cattle responding to a dinner call in another field across the creek, which lies just on the other side of those bushes lining the field. The location to the right of this photo is exactly where I caught my two trout last year.

The sky was a beautiful almost-clear blue but it was a chilly 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Peanut is slowly losing sight in his one good eye (the other lost in a tragic No-That's-My-Dead-Rat fight with Boo, a dog three times his size) and his hearing is going as well. Sometimes I think it's because he has so much fur he can't tell where I'm standing when I call his name. But in reality, he's getting old. Poor little guy has seizures too.

Here he is enjoying a fresh hair-cut around his good eye. I usually give him a cut once a month when I visit since Mom will let it grow out like that sheepdog on the Warner Brothers cartoons and we just can't have that. Aimee and I were thinking he would look awesome with an eye-patch over his bad eye. While we're at it, maybe some hearing aids too. I'll have to work on that.

No comments: