Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope.

It's hard for me to describe how I feel about today. I'm overwhelmed with it all, really. I have much hope for our country but at the same time I'm scared. Obama has been elevated to The Promised One status and I worry about our country's expectations of him. Obviously, being President is not an easy job and he's not going to be able to fix our problems over night or even in the next couple years. What happens when he fails? And fail he will, he's just a man. It's not that I doubt him or that I want him to fail, I just have realistic expectations.

Meanwhile, I'm hopeful that he may influence the youth of today, in particular the African American youth. I've spent a lot of time lately reflecting on the US history and the affects of slavery on our culture. You can see its negative affects on popular music, family structure, attitudes towards each other and more. It's pretty damn sad and I wasn't sure if we could ever dig ourselves out of it. Not until Obama was elected. I'm hoping Obama's election will help steer our country in a new direction regarding race relations and generally, in respect towards each other no matter which country we live in.

Maybe this will help our youth to realize that yes, you can dream and it can come true.

Watching Obama swear in, I was brought to tears. Tears for all those who have fought and died for this day. Tears of hope.

No comments: